Sunday, November 30, 2008

Potato Rolls

For my family's Thanksgiving, I was put in charge of bringing the rolls and in a effort to bake more and spend less, I decided to make my own.

I've always been a fan of potato rolls, so when I found a recipe from Cooking Light I decided to give it a try.


The rolls were easy enough, while also time consuming as most bread recipes are. First you must peel and cook the potatoes and then mash them. Then measure and mix the ingredients while the yeast is activated in warm water with a teaspoon of sugar. This recipe calls for you to add the yeast to the leftover cooking water for the potatoes, so you must be especially careful the water isn't too hot so you don't kill the yeast.

Once everything is mixed, you must knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it's smooth. Then let it rise in a bowl sprayed with nonstick spray for about 45 minutes. Then punch it down and let the dough rest for 10 minutes before forming it into rolls. To form the rolls you must flatten the dough into a 2-inch oval, then roll it up tightly and pinch the seams closed. Once you've done that, you must let the rolls rise for another 45 minutes.


From there, bake the rolls for 20 minutes and let them cool on a rack.


The rolls were fantastic and were a huge hit at Thanksgiving. So much so, I spent Black Friday making another batch. If you've got the time, these homemade rolls will always be far superior than store-bought rolls.

No comments: