Friday, January 14, 2011

Whoopie Pies



Whoopie Pies. This recipe haunted my thoughts since I first saw it in one of my Cook's Illustrated.

When I finally got around to making it, I knew I was going to have to give some away so we overindulge too much. I mean, the filling alone used 12 tablespoons of butter (1 1/2 sticks) and that was divided between 6 whoopie pies.

The funny thing is, as I began building the hype to see who would be interested in receiving such a gift, I was surprised to find out how few knew what a whoopie pie is. Yes, I realize it's more of a southern thing, but for whatever reason I've always had some awareness of them. Maybe it was my exposure to the Food Network.


For a Cook's Illustrated recipe, these were quite simple. And probably one of the best desserts I've ever made. Everyone who tried them loved them and for awhile there I thought Dan was going to die of a whoopie pie overdose. Luckily, he survived.

No comments: