Thursday, March 1, 2012

Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta with Raspberry Coulis


Meyer lemons are still haunting my thoughts because I know they won't be around much longer. I've already noticed that they are becoming harder to find, and I'm sad that I'll soon have to say goodbye to them until next winter.

However, I wanted to bid them a fond farewell by using them to make one of my most favorite desserts: panna cotta.

I came across a Tasty Kitchen Recipe for Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta with Raspberry Sauce and I knew I had to make it. I was intrigued because the recipe used creme fraiche, an ingredient that I had yet to use and something I had never seen in a panna cotta recipe.

The recipe was also a bit simpler than past panna cotta recipes. Normally I would use an America's Test Kitchen recipe, which goes the extra step to bring the cream mixture down in temperature by stirring it in a bowl placed in ice water before refrigerating until set.

Although this recipe didn't call for that, I did take that extra step simply so I could shave some of the time needed for the panna cotta to set. What can I say, I'm a little impatient when it comes to enjoying my panna cotta.

The final product was lovely with just a little bit of tartness from the lemon that paired well with the sweetness of the raspberry sauce. The texture wasn't what I quite expected for a panna cotta, it was almost chalky. I'm assuming that was from the addition of creme fraiche. While it wasn't necessarily off putting, it took away the smoothness that I have come accustom to and love about the America's Test Kitchen recipe.

No comments: