Monday, January 19, 2009

Three Stages of Christmas Cookies: Part 3


As I've said before, I'm a sucker for mint and chocolate. These Peppermint Meringue Cookies deliver the perfect combo and are my favorite cookies of all time. I make several batches of these cookies throughout December to share with co-workers and friends.

I begin by crushing the candy canes.


Once thoroughly crushed, it's time to start beating the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar.


I start whipping the egg whites by hand and then move onto my hand mixture to ensure every last drop of egg whites is whipped.

Once the eggs are at soft peaks, I add the sugar and beat until the egg whites are very firm. Then I add the vanilla extract, chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of crushed candy cane by hand.

Once thoroughly combined, I drop the mixture onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Top each cookie with the leftover crushed candy cane.


Although the recipe calls for the cookies to be baked at 300 degrees for 25 to 28 minutes, I feel that it produces a much too soft cookie. Although the cookie is still absolutely fantastic cooked at a higher temperature for less time, I feel the cookie is much more enjoyable baked at 225 degrees for 90 minutes. What can I say? I enjoy a crunchy meringue.

Peppermint Meringue Cookies

2 egg whites (room temp)
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2-3 candy canes, crushed, divided

Place parchment paper on two cookie sheets. Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until very firm. Gradually add sugar and mix. Fold in vanilla, chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of candy cane. Drop by the tablespoon full onto prepared pan. Sprinkle tops with remainder of candy canes. Bake at 225 for 90 minutes until crispy (or bake at 300 degrees for 25 to 28 minutes for a softer cookie).

No comments: