Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Remade Greek Salad


I love the Greek Salad at California Pizza Kitchen. I love it because it has a few of my favorite things like hummus and tzatziki sauce, as well as a lot of fresh veggies. But since buying a house we've cut back on how much we eat out so I really couldn't even tell you the last time I had this salad. Since I don't expect to be there for dinner any time soon, I decided to create my own.

It was also inspired by the fact that we had a huge harvest of lettuce from the garden and we had some leftover feta from a previous recipe.

It's a simple enough salad to make. I started off by making my go-to hummus recipe. Then I made the tzatziki. For the tzatziki, I seeded and chopped 1/2 of a cucumber. I then added to that an 8-ounce container of Greek yogurt, 1 T chopped fresh dill, 1 T of chopped fresh mint, 1 T of olive oil, 2 T of minced red onion and the juice of 1/2 of a lemon. Then I added salt and pepper to taste.

The salad was wonderful and dare I say it, better than the original. Maybe that's just because the lettuce was fresh from my garden, but all in all it was a dinner and leftovers we looked forward to eating.


Remade Greek Salad
Tzatziki Sauce
8 oz. Greek yogurt
1/2 cucumber, seeded and chopped
1 T chopped fresh dill
1 T chopped fresh mint
1 T olive oil
2 T minced red onion
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Salad
lettuce
hummus
feta cheese, crumbled
pita bread
grape tomatoes, halved
black olives, sliced

1. Combine tzatiki ingredients. Mix well. Let sit for a couple of hours in the fridge to help flavors come together.

2. Put a layer of hummus onto the plate. Cut up one pita into fourths and lay those on top of the hummus and then layer lettuce on top of that.

3. Top with cherry tomatoes, olives, feta and the tzatziki sauce.

No comments: