Monday, January 7, 2013

Ham, Leek and Quark Quiche


It seems like just about everyone is raving about Quark cheese. My first experience with Quark cheese was in La Merenda's Seasonal Tart of the Day, but it wasn't until I tasted it at the Milwaukee County Winter Farmers' Market that I fell in love.

Clock Shadow Creamery was offering samples of its Maple Quark, with a hint of sweetness that paired well with the tang of this fresh cheese.

Upon purchasing a tub, I knew exactly what I wanted to make with it: Quiche. With some ham from the freezer and some local leeks that needed to be used up, I thought the Quark cheese would make a wonderful quiche.

Boy was I right. My only wish is that I had sliced the leeks a little thinner and cooked them a bit in butter before adding them to the quiche mixture. Otherwise this quiche was as wonderful as I imagined it would be.

Ham, Leek and Quark Quiche
8 servings

Pie crust (store bought or homemade)
6 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces Maple quark cheese, room temperature
1 medium leek, sliced thin
1 cup ham, chopped into small pieces
salt and pepper to taste

1. Move oven rack to lowest setting. Preheat oven at 375 degrees.

2. Roll out pie crust and fit into pie pan.

3. Mix eggs, heavy cream and quark together until combined well. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Sprinkle leeks evenly in the pie pan, then do the same with the ham. Pour egg mixture into pie pan.

5. Place pie pan on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until set.

6. Set on cooling rack to cool, then place in refrigerator overnight. Before serving reheat to desired temperature. 


No comments: