Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Whole Wheat Apple Scones

For a while now, I've been trying to reduce the amount of processed foods I consume. To that end, I have tried to cook more from scratch.

But as I was reading a blog a I recently discovered, Pinch My Salt, and came across a recipe for scones and realized that breakfast is the one meal of the day that I had not be successful in reducing the amount of processed foods I consume.

So we decided to make some scones of our own. We searched and found another recipe we like, one for Whole Wheat Apple Scones.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl (we used our food processor), combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Pulse a few times in the processor. Then combine the small chunks of butter and pulse that until coarsely mixed.

Then add the shredded Granny Smith apples, vanilla extract and milk; pulse again.

On a floured surface, knead the dough lightly a few times and then divide into two portions and make a circle. Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle a bit more sugar on. Then put in the oven for about 15 minutes.


After it comes out, let it sit briefly.


We made this on the weekend to take to work for an easy morning bite and it's filling enough to last until lunch and also flavorful enough to prove delicious. I think other scone recipes are in our future.

No comments: