Stuffed chicken breasts? Yes, please. At least that's how we both thought after the idea came up recently when we were brainstorming ideas for future meals.
We made a recipe a while ago with stuffed chicken breasts with toasted almonds and cream cheese, and we really liked that combination. So we thought we would make something close to it. And when we dug around in our fridge (which has been pretty sparse lately), we came away with a few blocks of cheeses. So our stuffed filling came together pretty quickly.
And we decided to coat in panko to give bit more texture contrast:
After a dip in the skillet to brown the outside:
This ended up be a very good dish as the chicken was quite moist, even for leftovers the next day.
Almond and Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
1/3 to 1/2 cup cream cheese
2 tablespoons toasted almonds
1 1/2 tablespoons chives
1 1/2 tablespoons basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Romano cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons asiago cheese
1 cup panko crumbs
1. Combine cream cheese, almonds, chives, basil, garlic powder, Romano, Parmesan, asiago, salt and pepper and mix well with a handheld beater.
2. Take the chicken breasts and pat dry with a paper towel.
3. In a bowl or dish, scramble the egg and add a few drops of hot sauce. In another bowl or dish, spread the panko crumbs.
4. Take each chicken breast and coat thoroughly in egg mixture, then transfer to panko mixture and coat well.
5. Brown the panko crumbs and chicken breasts on all sides and move to an oven-safe cooking dish.
6. Bake in the 375-degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes.