During the past few weeks, we've been relegated to simple weeknight meals, ones that we've covered on this blog or ones that we wouldn't cover because, well, they're so simple.
So we have opted to make more planned-out meals on the weekend. And I had been craving southwestern flavors, so I thought about tacos. When we make tacos, we generally use shredded beef. But the tenderness of well-grilled flank steak would be a great alternative.
Our game plan was simple: Marinate the meat, make a simple sour cream dressing, add some cabbage and avocado, and put it all on toasted corn tortillas.
|Flank steak on the grill|
Marinated Flank Steak Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream
1 1/4 pounds flank steak
3 limes, juiced
2 oranges, juiced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon toasted minced onion
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
Sour cream dressing
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
1 tablespoon cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1 head cabbage, sliced
2 avocados, sliced
12 corn tortillas
1. Put the flank steak in a gallon zip-top bag with the lime juice, orange juice, minced garlic, toasted minced onion, cumin, honey, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set bag inside storage container to avoid leaking into the rest of the fridge and set in fridge for at least two hours.
2. Prepare grill for flank steak. Place flank steak over hot area of grill for 2 to 3 minutes, then flip, to ensure nice crust. After the second side is done, move flank steak to cooler side of the grill.
3. While the meat is grilling, mix sour cream, mayo, cilantro and lime juice in a bowl; set aside.
4. Chop cabbage and avocado; set aside.
5. Take meat off of grill and let sit for 8 to 10 minutes. While meat rests, take tortillas and place on grill, about 1 minute per side.
6. Slice meat and assemble tacos with sour cream dressing, cabbage and avocado.