Thursday, September 6, 2012

Garden Vegetable Omelette Burger


I have been craving a burger for so, so long. A nice, juicy grilled piece of meat, saddled between a pair of hearty Cybros: The Sprouted Bakehouse buns.

And that insatiable appetite for a filling burger led to me to think about how I could make it unique. For weeks I was anguishing over how to do so. Racking my brain here, racking my brain there. To no avail.

But then DudeFoods posted his recipe for Eggs Benedict Burger and I thought of my garden: Zucchini, tomatoes, broccoli, basil.

I harvested that idea and set to take those garden vegetables, combine them with a few other ingredients, and make an omelette atop a burger.

And I used other local ingredients (in keeping with the Eat Local Challenge) in the burger: Cybros buns and Arthur Bay Cheese Co. cheddar. I threw in a couple of slices of avocado for some creaminess, and:


It was a bit difficult to eat (the omelette and avocado slid around some), but it was well worth it. The broccoli and zucchini provided a nice crunch, the cheese provided a richness and the buns brought heartiness.

No recipe needed; cook burgers in your favorite method, and prepare individual omelettes just as burgers are near readiness. Pile it all between some hearty buns, and you're set for the night.

If you made an omelette with ingredients in your garden, what would be in it?

No comments: